MSF Hosting Seriously Fun Safety Fair for SoCal Motorcyclists, Motorcycle Safety Foundation Experts Offering Hands-On Help and Demos for Current and Want-To Riders
IRVINE, Calif., April 24, 2014 – Kicking off May’s national Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation is hosting its first-ever Safety Fair this Sunday morning in Long Beach, Calif. The venue is Veteran’s Stadium, site of the famed So-Cal Cycle Swap Meet, and the event is for all current riders, anyone who wants to learn about riding the right way, and even four-wheel motorists.
“People can get great tips on riding, riding gear and bike care through interactive booths and demos staffed by the experts from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation,” said Dr. Ray Ochs, vice president of training systems for the MSF. “The theme of this year’s fair is ‘See and Be Seen’ in order to focus attention on what riders can do to be more visible in traffic. Also, we’re calling on all motorists to be on the lookout for anyone on two-wheels, especially at intersections.”
On Sunday, April 27, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., safety fair attendees can:
- See and learn from MSF RiderCoaches aboard bikes riding exercises from select MSF RiderCourse℠
- Hear from Dr. Ray Ochs, vice president of training systems for MSF, about rider safety and the MSF curriculum
- Watch CHP motor officers demonstrate skills they use to handle their police bikes
- Get their personal riding gear rated for visibility and condition by the pros
- Operate the SMARTrainer – a computerized traffic simulator with actual motorcycle controls in order to see, virtually, how important visibility is in the real world
- View the MSF 100 Naturalistic Study motorcycle – a bike outfitted with video cameras and data acquisition sensors used to track the actions of a rider over the course of a year
- Enter the free raffle to win the MSF’s “Guide to Motorcycling Excellence” book and “The Complete Motorcyclist” DVD. (five of each will be given away)
The SoCal Cycle Swap Meet and the MSF Safety Fair are located at 5000 Lew Davis Street, Long Beach, Calif. The Swap Meet features more than 500 vendors and 1,000-plus motorcycles for show and sale.
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation® promotes safety through rider training and education, operator licensing tests and public information programs. The MSF works with the federal government, state agencies, the military and others to offer training for all skill levels so riders can enjoy a lifetime of safe, responsible motorcycling. Standards established by the MSF® have been recognized worldwide since 1973.
The MSF is a not-for-profit organization sponsored by BMW, BRP, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Piaggio, Polaris Motorcycles, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha. For safety information or to enroll in the RiderCourse℠ nearest you, visit www.msf-usa.org or call (800) 446-9227.